Thursday, March 29, 2012

we're ENGAGED!!! (3.24.12)

This post is WAY overdue! :)
Rhett and I are officially engaged as of Saturday, March 24, 2012.
It was a whirlwind of a weekend and life has yet to slow down in the wake, but we've accomplished SO MUCH in the past few days. I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's start at the beginning. Well, not really the beginning. Let's start on Friday...

***

Rhett went to Houston Friday morning to help his sister move a new couch into her apartment and help his dad move some furniture upstairs to prepare for the installation of concrete flooring. I stayed Friday morning in a failed attempt to get some school work done. Friday afternoon I made my way to Houston to attend the first night of the Lifeway's Abundance conference with my mom and aunt. After the night session ended, Rhett and I met up with my best friend, Danielle, and her husband, Scott, to grab a drink and catch up. While Rhett and Scott were discussing very manly topics such as handguns, I was wining  explaining to Danielle how ready I am to get the ball rolling with the next phase in Rhett and I's relationship.
The next morning, I went to the second session of the Abundance conference and it was amazing. Eye opening. Convicting. Hilarious. Inspiring. Powerful. 
Rhett asked if I wanted to hit up the zoo that afternoon and possibly grab dinner somewhere down there afterwards. We love the zoo, and go fairly often, especially in new cities, so I agreed that would be a fun afternoon and a chance to spend some time outside. The conference got done a little late and it was 4:15pm by the time I got home expecting Rhett to be chomping at the bit to get to the zoo. They only sell tickets until 6pm and we aren't exactly next door. I walk in and Rhett is on the couch watching golf with my dad. I nicely point out the time and he shrugs it off. He still needs to shower and get ready. If I was hoping at all that this night was the night, it was shot down about now. He got ready and we made it to the zoo around 5:30pm after hitting some traffic. It was a nice evening, so the zoo was packed. We wandered around for a while and I noticed Rhett was on his phone a lot. I inquired as to who he could possibly be talking to while we were at the zoo and he replied that he was involved in several simultaneous games of words with friends. 
"Hun, can you please be present with me here?? Let's enjoy the zoo. Phone games are for when you're bored!"
We finally make it to the new and improved African Forest section of the zoo--the part I had really been waiting to see.
Giraffes have always been my favorite animal, and Rhett gave me the nickname "baby giraffe" on field camp because he thought my ankles turned so much while hiking that they touched the ground. The giraffes are the very last thing in the African Forest, so we stopped there for a long time to watch them.
After about 10 minutes, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! 
I said yes, of course!
Can't believe how beautiful the ring is!
I turn around and Brennan, Rhett's sister, is there getting it all on film! So thankful she was there to capture such a special moment!
Also, turns out there was no couch moving on Friday. It was all a ploy. Rhett and Brennan went together to the zoo to scope it out beforehand. :)
The first thing I thought was "I need to call my mom!!"
Turns out, both our families were at a restaurant nearby waiting to celebrate!
What a special night :)
I am so excited to spend the rest of my life with my best friend.
Remember how I said we  hadn't stopped since that afternoon? Well, as of yesterday we have a venue, photographer, and, of course, A DATE!
October 13, 2012
It will be a rather short engagement, so be looking for wedding updates and inspiration soon!




Oh, and check out my bling!! :) He did an excellent job with our friends at David Gardner's.















1 comment:

  1. Beautiful ring - and it sounds like your fiance did a great job with planning a surprising and sweet proposal!

    ReplyDelete