My first sewing project on my new Brother machine is complete! The tutorial by Sweet Verbena is fairly easy (though I didn't find the fabrics to be the easiest to sew on), and the shirt came out cute. I got both fabrics at Wal-Mart for $2/yard. I have a couple more yards of the knit, so it may be popping up somewhere else. :)
After cooling off a bit, I think most of my sewing woes from a few days ago can be attributed to sewing at night while tired and not in my best mindframe. The sash was the item that was giving me the most trouble, so I started over this morning and everything went smoothly (minus a little mistake that is barely noticeable and easily concealed by the shirt tube). It's long enough to wear as a tunic with leggings, but I may shorten and hem it for summer.
It's too early to say that sewing (or this project) is my favorite (photo challenge for today), so I'll be back later with some of my favorite game day recipes which are currently in the works for the Texans playoff game this afternoon!